Jar City \\ Mýrin

Recently, I've been reading Scandinavian mystery/thrillers in my spare time. Yeah- because I have loads of spare time, and I have loads of time to waste on mysteries. Though it isn't my usual genre (read: I've never read mysteries before), I've been really taken by the weirdo translations, the lovely setting of these novels, and by the odd stories. I thought I'd tell you about my favorite. It happens to be the one you're most likely to have heard about. 


Jar City : A Reykjavic Thriller is a novel by Arnaldur Indriðason. 
I couldn't put this book down. It's a mystery build around a murder,
and a genetic disease. I don't want to tell you too much, but if you want to borrow it from me I'm happy to pass it along. after you read it, you can watch the film...



Mýrin is the Icelandic title of a film released in North America under the title Jar City. It is unquestionably one of the best films I saw this year. I've seen it twice. It is set in Iceland, shot on location, and so well crafted you'll wonder why you watch Hollywood films at all. Take my advice, watch it.

No comments: